"Non objective art, unlike figurative art, depends entirely on the emotional significance of color, form, texture, size, and spatial relationships rather than on representational forms." A Short Guide to Writing About Art
"It doesn't make much difference how the paint is put on as long as something has been said. Technique is just a means of arriving at a statement." Jackson Pollock Quoted in American Artists on Art from 1940-1980
What I'm Working on Right Now
My current projects primarily take place on large sheets of plywood. I use acrylic paint applied using a combination of pallet knives, brushes and sponges. I am mainly concerned with expressing emotion through color and texture. I anticipate my work transferring from wood canvases to sheets of metal, and beginning to include figures intertwined in patterns, in the near future.
Artists That Inspire Me
John Singer Sargent
Curtis Fairman
Claude Monet
Edward Hopper
Mary Cassatt
Mark Rothko
Gustav Klimt
About Me
From an early age, I have been interested in the arts. As a child, I was constantly drawing pictures and illustrating stories that I had written. And although this was a hobby I enjoyed through high school, I never dreamed that I would pursue a degree from a university in fine arts or a career as an artist.
However, my very first semester of college, I signed up to take Sculpture 101. The course turned out to be completely different than I thought it would be. I had a wonderful teacher who taught us that art, in addition to being decorative, is a powerful tool for communication. His words and the peace I felt as I poured my emotions into my sculptures, paintings and drawings (from subsequent classes) inspired me to change my major to Fine Arts. I thouroughly enjoyed my experience in the art department and wouldn't trade that time of my life for anything. I received my BA from the University of Nevada Las Vegas in December of 2007.
Currently, I manage my Dad and brother's family law practice. Although my job does not match my schoolastic training, I immensly enjoy working with good friends and family.
Purchase Details
Price, size and finish details of each piece can be found underneath the thumbnail. All prices include frames and matting (where appropriate).
All frames/mats are custom designed to fit the character of the piece.
Custom murals, paintings, drawings and photographs may be commissioned upon request. (prices for custom artwork will be determined upon consultation)
I accept cash, check or trades for payment.
My Objective
I am starting this blog in order to document my creative journey and to start marketing myself as an artist. I hope you enjoy viewing my various projects and feel free to contact me if you see anything you are interested in.
I am interested in buying some of your work. Could I see more?
ReplyDeleteCertainly. What medium/style are you interested in seeing more of?
ReplyDeleteWow, Melissa! You have certainly been busy. My favorite is the rainy day. Beautiful work.
ReplyDeleteWEll, I think I would like to look at some of your photographs that you took over the weekend. I'd like to put something next to my bridge.
ReplyDelete